History of Ooty

 

Ootacamund sometimes abbreviated to Udhagai or Ooty  is a town, a municipality and the district capital of the Nilgiris district in Tamil Nadu.
Ootacamund is a popular hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills. Originally occupied by the Todas, the area came under the rule of the East India Company at the end of the 1799. Ooty is based on tourism and agriculture. Ooty is well known for manufacturing of medicines and photographic film.


Many tourists around the world like to visit Ooty. The Train travel from the mattupalayam town ship to Ooty gives the pleasant and good nature seeing.
Ooty, which is deep within the Nilgiri hills, is also known as The Blue Mountains. Unlike any other region in the country, no historical proof is found to state that Ooty was a part of any kingdoms or empires. Tippu Sultan was the first to extend his border by constructing a hideout cave like structure.


It was originally a tribal land and was occupied by the Todas along with other tribes who co-existed through specialization and trade. The Todas handed a part of town to John Sullivan, Governor of Coimbatore. He later developed the town, and encouraged the establishment of tea, chinchona, and teak trees. Like many of the settlers, Sullivan was highly impressed by the way the tribes cooperated, and sought to maintain this balance.

 

Located in the Blue Mountains of the Western Ghats, Ooty draws a large number of tourists every year. Lofty mountains, great lakes, dense forests, sprawling grasslands, miles of tea gardens and eucalyptus trees greet the visitor’s route to Ooty. It is situated at an altitude of 2,286 meters above sea level.

 

 


Last Updated - - Designed & Content Managed by Pollachi.Org. Hosted & Technical Support by Designs Worldwide Solutions

Best viewed with resolution 1024 * 768 px.

Copyright © 2010 www.pollachi.org   All Rights Reserved.

Home | About us | Our Services | Photo Gallery | Feedback Form | Site Map | Contact Us