Arulmigu Prasanda Vinayagar Temple

This temple of Lord Ganesha is more than 1000 years old as believed by the local public. Located on the banks of River Aliyar, about 8 kilometres to the south of Pollachi, this temple was in a dilapidated condition about 2 years ago.

 

The renovation work of this temple was initiated by the local public under the leadership of Tmt.Anandhi Elango. The renewed looking temple had its first kumbhabhishekam on 9 June 2007.

 

There are signs in this temple to show that the temple deity was Lord Siva initially. What made this temple to become a Ganapathy temple is still unknown. The deity is addressed as 'Prasanda Vinayakan' by the locals; The qualifier appears to be the mispronunciation of the Sanskrit term "Prachanda" meaning 'of fierce countenance, violently swift, etc'; the most appropriate being the former.


There should have been temple elephants belonging to this temple in those days. This is evidenced by the naming of that part of the river as 'Anai Gajam' where the flight of steps leading from the temple meet the river.

 

'Anai Gajam' in Tamil means that part of river where water is so deep even to an elephant; the place where the mahouts used to take the temple elephants for bathing.


Due to its natural setting amidst lush green paddy fields, sugarcane fields, and Coconut trees, this temple is growing more and more popular among the devotees of Coimbatore.

 

 


Last Updated - - Designed & Content Managed by Pollachi.Org. Hosted & Technical Support by Designs Worldwide Solutions

Best viewed with resolution 1024 * 768 px.

Copyright © 2010 www.pollachi.org   All Rights Reserved.

Home | About us | Our Services | Photo Gallery | Feedback Form | Site Map | Contact Us